USS Hornet (CV-8)
by Rick Cotton
USS Hornet (CV-8)
Trumpeter's 1/350 scale USS Hornet and
Modelworks' Photoetched Brass set are both available online from
With her bizarre camouflage scheme, Hornet is
quickly recognizable to most model ship builders.
She was the shortest-lived of any US Fleet carrier, but her few months
of service were packed with enough heroics for any warship to be proud
of. The Doolittle raid, Midway and the immortal sacrifice of Torpedo
Eight, Santa Cruz, island raiding, Hornet was busy from the day she hit
the water until the day she slid under it forever.
This model is dedicated to the memory of those
brave Americans who sailed forth to war in her, and never returned.
Trumpeterís new 1/350th scale kit is well-documented on the web for its
incorrect bow and a few other minor goofs, but I noticed only one other
thing out of whack. The deck crane should be directly behind the
islandÖTrumpeter has it slightly offset to port, thus creating a landing
hazard for incoming pilots. Oh, well, be careful setting Ďem down boysÖ.
The hangar deck and hull are a good tight fit. I filled a few seams with
Squadron White Putty,and sanded off the molded-on anchor chains,
replacing them with Haze Gray-painted jewelry store chain. I drilled out
the openings for the anchors, as I wanted to display the ship moored in
harbor, with her anchors out. The hangar deck floor was sprayed Testors
Gunship Gray, and then masked.
The hangar deck bulkheads (thatís WALLS
to you land lubbers) had to be detailed inside with bits of plastic and
resin, then sprayed flat white, as was the overhead (the underside of
the flight deck or CEILING). I cut open some of the rollup doors in the
aft section to show some Hangar detail. I added Plastruct I-beams to
simulate the underdeck support for the flight deck.
At this point, I
built up one TBD Devastator and two SBD Dauntlesses and posed them on
the hangar deck before closing this area up.
Take care to test-fit and align the bulkheads as
close to vertical as possible, as this will save you much grief during
the flight deck fitting.
I didnít follow the exact sequence of assembly and painting in the
directions, since I was adding the Tomís Modelworks brass photoetch as I
went along. This required painting and building, painting and building,
basically in layers as I moved up from the waterline.
surfaces got a base coat of PollyScale Acrylic Haze Gray (you know,
ďhaze gray and underway..Ē), the decks got Pollyscale Weathered Deck
Blue and then the Pollyscale Navy Blue pattern was added to the hull,
along with appropriate rust, stains and streaks.
By the way, Trumpeterís
full color plan included with the kit is an approximation only, check
your reference photos carefully for a more exact pattern. Their
depiction of dark blue striping on the Island is just flat wrong. Check
out the cover of Warship Perspectives Yorktown Class Carriers, and there
is Hornet, in beautiful Technicolor, with Pale Gray stripes on her
island! I tried a test pattern on a blank sheet of white card of the
Navy Blue, Ocean Gray, Haze Gray pattern as written in the book, but it
just didnít look right, and certainly didnít look like the photo, so I
shot the model in Navy Blue, Haze Gray, and Pale Gray. The pattern was
applied hard-edged, just like the original.
Lastly, I added the badly
chipped white Bow Wave. On the real boat, there wasnít much left of this
after the Doolittle raid, but what was there stood out. The flight deck
was also painted Pollyscale Weathered Deck Blue with a few drops of
white added, and got some tan drybrushing to simulate the wearing of the
original Norfolk Blue deck stain. I used some smeared black pastel chalk
to simulate tire skid marks in the landing area, then sealed the entire
deck with Testorsí Acrylic Clear Flat.
I didnít use the photoetch props and wheels
provided for the air wing, the kit parts are super as they are.
One exception was the use of the landing gear parts
for the F4F Wildcats. Those really show up when added, and help
stabilize the weak gear of these planes.
Also, if you
are doing Wildcats, remember that dash-3 models didnít have folding
wings, while dash-4 ones did. I believe the Marines got the Dash-3ís, so
I did Dash-4ís on Hornet. The SBDís didnít have folding wings (mustíve
been a nightmare stashing them below decks) and the TBDís wings folded
all the way down to the top of the ďgreenhouseĒ canopy.
I did use most of the Tomís Modelworks details, however. They really add
to the crane, radar fit, guns and island, and are fairly easy to apply,
with the exception of that %$^&*# railing around the top of the funnel.
Talk about a pain in the posterior! Donít do that part until the
caffeine wears off.
A couple of sets of Tomís Modelworks 1/350th scale
sailors, and a few extra Torpedo Eight TBDís and some SBDís on deck
finished off the boat itself.
The ship was mounted in ďwaterĒ made of clear silicone caulk, in one
thin layer, over a deep blue painted base. Let this stuff cure in a WELL
VENTILATED roomÖitíll stink the place up if you donít.
Okay, there she is. Even with Trumpeterís errors, itís a super kit. Iím
really a plane builder by nature, but I love flattops too.
On to Essex!
Click on the thumbnails
below to view larger images:
Model, Images and Text Copyright ©
2003 by Rick Cotton
Page Created 22 April, 2003
Last Updated 17 December, 2003
Back to HyperScale